PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_NUM - assumed 'MYSQL_NUM' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 151

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_ASSOC - assumed 'MYSQL_ASSOC' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 151

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_BOTH - assumed 'MYSQL_BOTH' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 151

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant privacyurl - assumed 'privacyurl' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(834) : eval()'d code on line 41

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant tosurl - assumed 'tosurl' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(834) : eval()'d code on line 42
Please help with roller coaster tycoon 3 - GameFileForums
GameFileForums  

Go Back   GameFileForums > Game Help > Game File Request/Locator
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 27-07-2009

Question Please help with roller coaster tycoon 3

We tried to install RCT 3 (from a commercial cd) on our computer after a reformat. I got an error message which I looked up online and it indicated that the disc is damaged. I looked at the back and sure enough there are two big scratches on it. So I found it online to download and got it installed but it keeps asking for a cd (I am not sure which version the download is). So I tried using the patch that was in the download but it keeps popping up an error window (no specific error is indicated). I downloaded a couple of other patches with no luck. I also downloaded an update to try first and it said it could not find v1 patch1 on my computer so apparently I am using the wrong file or maybe I need other files first. Can anyone help? My kids want to just buy a new cd but they don't have the money and I hate for them to spend their own money (once they earn enough) on something that we already have even though it isn't working right. Our computer is a Windows with XP SP2. Thanks

I just wanted to edit this and add that I am trying right now with the original (scratched) cd in the hopes that the scratches are only on the portion that is important for installation and not play. It seems to be working but I have never played this game and don't know what it's supposed to do or how it's supposed to act. My kids will give it a proper try in the morning. Even if it does work for now I'd like to find out if there's a way they can play it without the cd because I think it's only a matter of time before it quits on us. Thanks.

Last edited by gale; 27-07-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 27-07-2009

Unfortunately, the forum rules don't allow me to help on this matter. You'll have to contact the publisher for a replacement copy (that if you still have the receipt) or buy the game again.
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 can't be found in stores anymore, but you can find Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum (US edition) or Rollercoaster Tycooon 3 Deluxe (EU edition). Platinum/Deluxe edition have included the Soaked and Wild expansions and are priced at 29.99$ or 29.99 euro. For the UK, the price 14.99 pounds.
There are ways to preserve your game CD's, ranging from making a backup copy (works only for games released up to 2004 or so) or using a mini-image mounted in Daemon Tools, or using a unprotected executable.
Old 27-07-2009

ok thanks. We do not have the receipt-it's been several years since I bought it. I thought since I owned the game it was ok to download and try to work it without the cd using the no-cd patch. I saw a post here (on page one a few posts down called Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 No CD posted by Mike-I can't link it) that explained a little but that didn't work for me. I'll just tell them if the cd doesn't work to start saving their pennies. They can't get enough for a new version but they can probably save up for a used one within a few months. My husband is adamant about not buying it for them since they don't really remember to put the cds away (which is probably how it got scratched). But he's not the one who has to listen to them complain all day about it not working. I'm pretty sure that if it doesn't work I'll just save my own pennies in secret and buy them one to save my sanity.
Old 27-07-2009

Unfortunately, especially the US games End User License Agreement (short; EULA) forbids any form of copying, backup and such. Though the US laws doesn't forbids you to backup your legally purchased discs, the companies are imposing that anyway and they have the means to impose their will. So if the CD/DVD gets scratched you are forced to buy a new one. If your CD/DVD it's in mint condition, and you have the original, you are allowed to use a no-CD/DVD solution (mini-images, unportected executables). If the game is using online activation for protection, you are not allowed to use any form of cracks.
Old 27-07-2009

Ah that makes sense-thanks for the explanation. The kids have been playing it all morning so apparently the old cd is working for playing, just not installing. I told them to baby that thing and never lay it down on the desk, tower, etc. We will probably have to replace their computer this fall so when we do I may throw in a new cd at the same time. What's another $30 when you're spending hundreds anyway.

ok spoke too soon. Just discovered that you can't start a new game on it when it's open-you have to close the whole game and then start it up again and then start a new one. They can live with that for now.